Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SprutCam 2007 Lockups and Errors
DaveK
post Apr 23 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,318

I am a new user of Sprutcam and since starting using Sprutcam 2007 (I have build 5.36 running on XP with 1GB ram) I have been having a number of problems that seem very serious but I need some feedback in case I am setup wrong or not using the latest version or something. I experience the following.

1) lockups where Sputcam will just locks up and displays Computing path 60% or sometimes 100% while computing paths. During theis state you can still chnage views but most other controls are frozen. You cant exit and taskmgr shows 0 CPU going to Sprtcam .

2) Cases where sprutcam just wont generate a tool path and it wont tell you why. No errors, no toolpath , a nice green check ont he operation but nothing.

3) Sudden comsumption of all available memory including virtual memory (which it will not release ) unless you exit and once consumed nothing works right. Sometimes I get an out of memry here, other times not. It happens sometimes during path genreation although I can get through 3 or 4 times with no problem and sometimes it happenes just after I exit a parameter dialog where I change something like a lead in value to a hole machining operation. My models are not very large. 30 curves for some 2D models and 45 faces for a 3D both have generated this. I have watched my memory consumption during path generation and can get through my model fine with <500MB used, then suddenly boom .. its gone and stuck.

4) When using wide screen formats like 3074x768 I get Kernel access violations when running simulations and some small error screens with Russian text that looks really bad .. maybe like the eqivqlent of eeee gad.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeyD
post Apr 23 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,289

I am running the same build as you on win2k and not having any problems like this. Sounds like you have a crazy high end video card to run resolution like this, so the firest thing that I would try is running it on a more normal machine with a main stream video card as a test.

Other things that I would do are :

Try disabling your AV program (especially if running Norton)
Run windows update to make sure that your machine is up to date
If you have a ton of crapware running in the background, this can cause problems, so please check this

If this does not fix this, try contacting Yuri at sprut, he is great to deal with.

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 23 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Welcome to the forum Dave.

All good suggestions from Mickey.............I would also add:

make sure your video drivers are bang up to date.
Try deselecting 'Use fast painting mode' to see if this helps (Options - Edit - Visualization).
You could try deleting the two files called SprutCAM.cfg and SprutCAM.dsk which you will find in your C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\SPRUT Technology\SprutCAM\Version 2007 folder.
The above step will put SprutCAM 2007 back to a default installation.
If the problems persist after all this, try posting up one of the models that you are using (*.igs / *.dxf) and I'll give it a try here.

SprutCAM is not very good at telling you why there is no cutter path calculated.......it's something you very quickly get used to. If you aren't sure, post up your SprutCAM project and I'll take a look.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
krisz
post Apr 23 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (DaveK @ Apr 23 2008, 02:51 AM) *
2) Cases where sprutcam just wont generate a tool path and it wont tell you why. No errors, no toolpath , a nice green check ont he operation but nothing.

Sometimes when that happens is that some of your settings are off. I have that sometimes too. By settings I mean let's say you try to machine a 1/2" hole with a 3/4" end mill. Take another look at all your settings and your machining parameters because something must be off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaveK
post Apr 24 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #5

Thank You all for your inputs and assistance. I will post which of the idea fix the issues when that happens. I have also submitted to Sprutcam support but nothing back yet from them. I do have one other thing I need confirmed. I use Alibre to create my models and found that SputCam will not import any curves from Alibre generated IGS files, it just gets the faces. From IGS files created in Solidworks I get both the faces and the curves and points that created them. I have tried every permutation of IGS export configuration in Albre to no avail. After searching the Web I noticed one comment where someone said that Alibre doesnt actually generate IGS for the 2D wireframe elements so I tried exporting a simple 2D curve that I did not extrude to a face and Alibre refused to export it. So is this true and if so, does that mean I cant use SprutCAM 2D contouring or other 2.5D functions unless I manually cut my faces with intersecting planes in SputCam to get the curves ?

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 24 2008, 07:10 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I'm not sure if Alibre exports curves or not, so i cannot comment on that..........but you can (re)create the curves very quickly in SprutCAM by using the 'Project' function (3D Model mode).
You can also use the Intersect function, and this can be very useful, but the main use of Intersect (as far as I am aware) is to create a section for a turned component where the default section does not give you the full model required.
The Project function is very quick and easy, simply select the Face or Faces that you wish to create a border from and click project............check that the correct number of curves are produced (Result) and adjust the 'slit width' value if required, and that's it.
One note about this, if I am using the curves for machining (2D Contouring - Pocketing etc.) I also adjust the default tolerance value to make it a bit more accurate (smaller number).

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
DaveK
post Apr 24 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Good to know about the Project function. I will try that. As for the lockups .. I just finished trying a number of the suggestions above and though I did not get to all of them the one that seemed to improve it was doing a Windows update . I was a few patches behind but that happens pretty fast these days. After the update I did not experince Sputcam locking up during path generation but it did eat 100% of my cpu for about 2 minutes on a path that was taking only seconds after changing a Top Level in a Finsihing Waterline operation but it did come back.

+Quote Post
krisz
post Apr 24 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Dave

The way to get the 2D curves out of Alibre is to make a drawing in Alibre Design, import your curves into the drawing space and then export that drawing as a DXF file, than you can import that DXF file into SprutCAM. Unless those curves are complex and almost impossible to redraw in SprutCAM I would not recommend this method because you will get a lot of segmented lines and geometry that overlaps each other etc, and it is not really ideal for machining. I have done that in the past because I had to so if there is no other choice by all means do that but otherwise I would recommend what Dave said to just use your curves in Alibre to create a 3D surface or model then import that into SprutCAM as a 3D model and work with that.

Solid Works has a much more advanced method of creating the iges and stp files and therefore it can output your curves not just your 3D solids into your iges files, but iges and step is used for 3D geometry solids only, it wasn't meant to output 2D geometry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Apr 24 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I passed on the link for this thread to the head of programming at Sprut and he has told me that he thinks it is probably a graphics card issue and that turning off the 'Use fast painting mode' should hopefully solve it.
He also mentioned that in the next build they have resolved several 'undocumented features' (aka bugs;o) that could have contributed to some system stability issues.

He has also just sent me a sample project which machines a crankshaft complete using a MillTurn machine.......awesome.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
DaveK
post May 2 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #10

krisz, thanks now I understand why people say Alibre doesnt really output usable 2D curves.

Sput UK, thank for the foward, I got zip from my email to support@sprutcam.com . So how do i get next build .. will it automatcially pull the update ?

-d

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post May 2 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

You should get new build notifications from your SprutCAM dealer. Sprut have started putting the new builds on their website, so keep an eye out there for it if your dealer isn't very forthcoming.

Dave

--------------------
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
krisz
post May 3 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DaveK @ May 2 2008, 08:48 PM) *
krisz, thanks now I understand why people say Alibre doesnt really output usable 2D curves.

Your very welcome I am glad I could help. So far the best software I have seen for file transferring from one format to another, and for outputting the most usable files for CAM softwares etc, is Pro Engineer. It has a very robust architecture and I have yet to see any other software that does such a great job with files. Even SolidWorks can not compete with ProE in that territory. There's gotta be a reason why many car manufacturing companies, and Boeing choose ProE to design with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djb
post May 3 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

DaveK,

Id also recommend upgrading your ram. I just went from 1-3 gigs and things seem to calculate much faster now. 2007 seems to be memory hungry when doing complex 3D tool path work. This is especially true if you have other programs open at the same time.

I too have found deleting the files Dave recommened to delete really seems to straighten things out if the program goes nutty. Ive just started working on a new freshly built machine, so I'll report back on its stability.. but so far its looking good with zero problems.

David

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 3 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Krisz,

I've had some problems generating good G-code in SprutCAM for circular parts designed in Alibre, but Alibre and/or Sprut seems to have fixed the problem in recent releases. Have you experienced problems recently? Were the problems subtle or obvious?

Mike

+Quote Post
krisz
post May 4 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ May 3 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Krisz,

I've had some problems generating good G-code in SprutCAM for circular parts designed in Alibre, but Alibre and/or Sprut seems to have fixed the problem in recent releases. Have you experienced problems recently? Were the problems subtle or obvious?

Mike

I stopped using Alibre about 2 years ago. I am only using Solid Works now. I am not having any file issues. Back when I was using Alibre I had to set up my Iges file export properly in Alibre in order to get good usable 3D solids because Alibre by default isn't outputting Iges the way SprutCAM likes it.

About 2 months ago I had a project I was working on that was done in Alibre 10, I haven't had any issues with the file at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post May 10 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (krisz @ May 4 2008, 12:04 PM) *
I stopped using Alibre about 2 years ago. I am only using Solid Works now. I am not having any file issues. Back when I was using Alibre I had to set up my Iges file export properly in Alibre in order to get good usable 3D solids because Alibre by default isn't outputting Iges the way SprutCAM likes it.

About 2 months ago I had a project I was working on that was done in Alibre 10, I haven't had any issues with the file at all.

That's good to know. So far as I know both Alibre and Sprut were working on thge problems I had but I never found out which one fixed it or it was a collaborative effort.

Mike

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2019 - 09:01 AM