Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> spherical mill offset error with PCNC1100
gabe
post Jan 21 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,302

We are machining (with Tormach PCNC 1100) an elliptical pocket in an aluminum housing, using ball endmills. Sprutcam simulates the feature just fine, but when we machine the part, the end mill offset is off by a value equal to the radius of the tool. I made sure my tool offsets in Mach 3 are correct. The only way I could temporarily "fix" this was to artifically increase my tool offset by one radius. But this isn't "right".. best way to crash a tool next time someone else uses the machine with these ball endmills.

Has anyone had the same problem?

I suspect this to be a postprocessor problem, since sprutcam renders the simulation correctly..

also, I noticed browsing thru this forum that the hole drilling twice issue for the pcnc postproceeor has not been resolved.. I just bought this machine, (~30 days), and we've had to edit the GCode for all the hole patterns created in Sprutcam..or they dril twice at the same spot..

This postprocessor is seriously buggy it seems :-(

I can't say I'm too happy with this setup right now.. not to mention that sprutcam keeps freezing randomly..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 21 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Gabe, welcome to the forum.

You don't mention what type of machining operation that you are using to produce the elliptical pocket. As a rule SprutCAM will output the G-code exactly as the cutter path is produced on screen.
The only exception to this is a faulty postprocessor..........or an incorrectly defined offset (curve) when using a 2D Contouring operation.
Which operation are you using?

If Tormach are supplying faulty postprocessors, then you really need to contact them to get these issues resolved. There are several Tormach users on here who have tweaked the Tormach post to solve some problems which they have encountered.........I'm sure that they would be happy to supply you with a copy.
As far as I am aware, the drilling problem was solved some time ago.

Random freezing of SprutCAM is of concern. Have you any theories as to the cause? Does it happen when simulating or when a cutter path is being calculated?
If we throw this open to everyone........has anyone else had freezing problems.......if yes, could you list what OS and graphics cards etc. that you are using.

Anyway, hopefully some of the other Tormach users on here will be along to help soon..............good luck.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mike Henry
post Jan 21 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (gabe @ Jan 21 2008, 12:01 AM) *
We are machining (with Tormach PCNC 1100) an elliptical pocket in an aluminum housing, using ball endmills. Sprutcam simulates the feature just fine, but when we machine the part, the end mill offset is off by a value equal to the radius of the tool. I made sure my tool offsets in Mach 3 are correct. The only way I could temporarily "fix" this was to artifically increase my tool offset by one radius. But this isn't "right".. best way to crash a tool next time someone else uses the machine with these ball endmills.

Has anyone had the same problem?

I suspect this to be a postprocessor problem, since sprutcam renders the simulation correctly..

also, I noticed browsing thru this forum that the hole drilling twice issue for the pcnc postproceeor has not been resolved.. I just bought this machine, (~30 days), and we've had to edit the GCode for all the hole patterns created in Sprutcam..or they dril twice at the same spot..

This postprocessor is seriously buggy it seems :-(

Which version of SprutCAM are you using - 4 or 2007? Tormach uploaded new posts for the 2 versions of SprutCAM 2007 that they sell on the 10th and 17th of this month. Are you using one of those or an earlier post?

The posts can be downloaded here:

http://www.tormach.com/documents.htm

Mike

+Quote Post
gabe
post Jan 25 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,302

QUOTE (Mike Henry @ Jan 21 2008, 01:26 PM) *
Which version of SprutCAM are you using - 4 or 2007? Tormach uploaded new posts for the 2 versions of SprutCAM 2007 that they sell on the 10th and 17th of this month. Are you using one of those or an earlier post?

The posts can be downloaded here:

http://www.tormach.com/documents.htm

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am using 2007. As it turns out, the sperical mill was an error on my part in defining the tool (center instead of end).

The post I was using was the one I downloaded from Tormach when I got the machine last December. Yuri of Sprutcam directed me to a newer version that they (Tormach) apparently posted in January and that fixes the problem.

The Random freezes keep occuring. It's random so I can't pinpoint when or why. I save my work whenever I can remember to do so, which is usually after the system crashed on me :-( Everything is brand new (Dell PC, Windows XP) as delivered by Tormach so its hard to figure out what could be wrong.

Best rgds

Gabe

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Jan 26 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hi Gabe, Ok, I'm glad to hear that you are making some good progress now.
With regard to the PC crashes......I would start by suggesting that you check to make sure that the video driver on your Dell PC is up to date. I know the PC is new, but it's worth checking anyway.
You could also try resetting SprutCAM back to it's default installation settings............to do this:

Go to your C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\SPRUT Technology\SprutCAM\Version 2007 folder, and delete (or rename) the two files called:

SprutCAM.cfg
SprutCAM.dsk

When you restart SprutCAM 2007 the next time, SprutCAM looks for these two files, if it doesn't find them it creates new default versions.
I have found that very rarely one of these two files becomes corrupt and this can lead to the types of occasional errors that you are seeing.

By the way, if you cannot see the 'Application Data' folder in the step above, you will need to select 'Tools - Folder Options - View - Show hidden files and folders'.

Dave

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2019 - 09:01 AM