Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4th axis cam machining
Art K
post Dec 5 2015, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,585

Hi, I am trying to machine the lobes of a camshaft using 4th axis on a Tormach mill. I have the blank turned in the lathe and only need the cam profile machined. I am using Sprutcam7. It was suggested that I use waterline roughing then waterline finish, and that I would have to do it in 180 degree portions. I cant figure this out. I did see a you tube video of a Sprutcam8 setup milling a camshaft in continues machining (in Italian) I'm assuming that's not an option in7? I might add that the only parts I've done on the rotary table have been manual so I cant muddle my way through looking at tutorial videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Art
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cam_Blank_Val.stc ( 160.52K ) Number of downloads: 1

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sprut_UK
post Dec 17 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Art K @ Dec 5 2015, 04:15 AM) *
Hi, I am trying to machine the lobes of a camshaft using 4th axis on a Tormach mill. I have the blank turned in the lathe and only need the cam profile machined. I am using Sprutcam7. It was suggested that I use waterline roughing then waterline finish, and that I would have to do it in 180 degree portions. I cant figure this out. I did see a you tube video of a Sprutcam8 setup milling a camshaft in continues machining (in Italian) I'm assuming that's not an option in7? I might add that the only parts I've done on the rotary table have been manual so I cant muddle my way through looking at tutorial videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Art

In the attached modified version of your project I have added a couple of waterline roughing operations to show what I think was being suggested to rough the initial material away. As you have said that you have turned the blank already, I have used a 5D Contouring operation to finish the cam lobes.

I hope this helps?

Dave
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cam_Blank_Val_dp.zip ( 62.22K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
"Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake..." - Napoleon Bonaparte
www.sprut.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:54 AM